Thursday, April 25, 2013

Bringing Light to Darkness

From Bekah Wright, Dream Agent in Kyrgyzstan...
 I still think of the first time we visited the Men’s Home in Iskra.. What a dark place. Our friend Dan Referred to it as a glimpse of Hell. Now I was 14 years old when I went to it for the first time and I can honestly say that I didn't go back for about 6 months while my parents tried to help little by little with Larissa because I couldn't handle what I had seen and couldn't imagine ever going back. It wasn't just what I had seen but it was the smells and sounds that I heard that scared me.
Now, 5 years later it is amazing how little projects here and there to help these men can make an outstanding difference overall. This men’s home is perfect example of how when everyday philanthropists come together and work together unimaginable grand things can happen!
I really believe that this summer marks a new stage for the men here at this home because, although there are still many things that need to be done to make this home better for these men, they don’t have to live to survive but live to celebrate life. We were able to give them a glimpse of what life is outside of this institution when we took them to the movies and to the park. And now they are overjoyed with the responsibility of taking care of two small budgies! We went to out and saw the men and gave them two budgies that will keep them company and bring joy and song into the men’s home. Thank you to everyone who has ever helped with the men’s home here in Kyrgyzstan and thank you to everyone for continuing to help dream agents like me to encourage us to go back to places like this and make a difference! Without people like you, we would have never gone back and never thought we could make a difference!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Fp8gLoB34 Here's a link if you would like to see an encouraging clip as to what the Iskra Men's Home has become. The tour guide is one man from the home :)



No comments:

Post a Comment