Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A little bit of this and a little bit of that...

A little update from Michelle Desaulniers, our Dream Agent in El Salvador:
October was a busy month for me. Like the title says I was involved in a little bit of this and a little bit of that!
I helped at the girls orphanage,

I helped out with the homeless program,
I helped with a children's program in a slum community
and I worked at building relationships with the street people including the prostituted men and women.

I want to share a little bit about my time in the soccer program at the all boys government run orphanage. The one day I shared a reflection on being honourable with the guys.
When I asked the boys who has done something honourable this week, only ONE raised his hand. So I proceeded to ask them if they knew what it meant to be honourable and sure enough, they all knew. These boys have lived such a hard life. Lives full of abandonment, abuse, lack of love, they are just merely surviving. I would love to see these guys thrive. I would love to see them come to know their purpose in life and to live their lives in the fullness of joy. One of the boys who is special to me escaped from the orphanage and is living back on the streets sniffing glue. I am so sad. This boy has the nicest smile you will ever see. In my brief time with him, I tried to encourage him to keep up his good attitude. but in the end my words were not enough. I hope wherever he is today that he is safe and that he has the courage to leave the streets. My hope is to make a lasting difference in the lives of the people I meet here in El Salvador. I hope to set a good example by showing them how to love by loving them, by showing them how to be honourable by living a life that is honourable. Whether we are in North America or Central America - all over the world we need to be the best example we can be to the people that surround us. We need to be the real deal 24/7. Come On!!

No comments:

Post a Comment